WCBS-TV / WLNY-TV has an immediate opening for a Producer/Writer.
Req ID#: 25448
Job Title: Producer/Writer
Job Description/Requisition Details: CBS 2 / WLNY-TV is seeking a strong newscast producer with major market experience and proven leadership skills. The ideal candidate will thrive on breaking news; has a strong understanding of social media and how to drive content to and from various social media platforms; has high journalistic standards and will bring fresh, innovative ideas to a vibrant newsroom. Ultimately, we are looking for a creative producer who understands how to present complex stories, use social media platforms to drive viewership to our broadcasts and serve a diverse audience.
* Produce 30 or 60 minute newscast
* Responsible for story selection and editorial content of stories, requires an eye for stories that can be used in newscasts that have both a relevance to the viewer as well as an appeal to a larger social media audience
* Time programs and segments with a good sense of pacing, energy and urgency
* Must have the ability, understanding and forethought to use social media as a promotional platform to drive viewers to watch our news programs
* Continuously gathering, evaluating, writing and assembling stories into newscast form in order to provide complete, accurate and compelling newscasts
* Working with anchors, executive producers, reporters and editors in refining, graphically enhancing and adding production value to stories to produce the best possible newscast
* Ability to update and create news posts for our social media pages keeping on top of trending news
* Write newscast teases
* Constantly monitor wires and feed sources for update information
* Respond aggressively to breaking news, and also updating our social media pages with video and written content to help drive viewership to our on-air produced newscasts
* Position includes news writing. Must be able to create compelling, succinct and clear news stories from raw material such as unedited video, reporter notes, telephone conversations and desk notes
* Must be able to work overnights, weekends and holidays when necessary
Candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of producing experience in a major market and at least 2 years of television news writing in a major market. Individual must be an excellent journalist, writer and leader willing to express and support his/her editorial ideas at editorial meetings. Must be a bold thinker. Must have control room experience with live breaking news coverage. Must also have experience writing news stories for broadcast.
To explore the opportunity to join CBS 2 / WLNY-TV please visit https://cbs.avature.net/cbscorpcareers/JobDetail?id=5712 to apply.
Consistent with our equal opportunity program, we request that you advise us of any candidate, including disabled persons, minorities or women, you believe may be qualified for this position and advise interested parties to apply as indicated.
WCBS-TV / WLNY-TV is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.