Media Relations Manager
The Media Relations Manager will manage state and national media outreach for Small Business Majority. They will write press releases and media advisories, coordinate interviews with reporters, pitch stories and manage Small Business Majority’s media database. The Media Relations Manager will report to the Communications Manager.
- Develop and nurture relationships with print and online editors, writers, TV/radio producers, bookers, etc., specifically in states where we have staff
- Pitch stories, secure media coverage and place op-eds, letters to the editor and other pieces through traditional channels, including email and phone, and through social media channels including Twitter and Facebook.
- Write and distribute press releases, talking points, media statements, Q&A docs, letters and other materials as needed.
- Maintain and grow our database of media contacts at the local, state and national levels.
- Provide talking points on policy issues to Small Business Majority staff members and small business owners.
- Manage the organization’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blogs).
- Help prepare Small Business Majority staff and small business owners in our network for media interviews/interactions, including media training.
- Stay on top of critical related news and developments.
- Respond quickly to media inquiries.
- Create letter to the editor and op-ed content from small business owners.
- Conduct interviews with small business owners and write profiles on an as-needed basis.
- In close partnership with the rest of Small Business Majority’s communications team, quickly activate and communicate with small business owners for a variety of media-related events, such as press conferences and media interviews.
- In close partnership with the rest of Small Business Majority’s communications team, provide relevant information to small business owners via social media as significant events arise
- Proactively search out opportunities for media interviews and engagement for Small Business Majority staff
- At least 3-5 years media/journalism experience
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Superior writing and interviewing skills
- Mastery of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, blogging) and social media analytics
- Self-starter; deadline oriented; personable—able to foster positive working relationships with colleagues, small business owners, partners, etc.
- Ability to understand complex policy issues and translate them into layman’s terms for small business owners, media, etc.
- Interest in advocacy and public policy
- Availability to work, on occasion, outside regular working hours and weekends as needs arise
- Enjoyment of collaboration and ability to work as part of a team with multiple internal and external resources; as well, must be able to work independently and remotely with team members in other cities/states
- Mastery of all Microsoft Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Any of the following experience a plus:
- Small business/business
- clean energy
- workforce issues
- women/minority issues
Please submit cover letter, resume and three samples (Letter to Editor, OpEd, etc.) to:
Due to the expected high number of resumes we will only contact those candidates who are best qualified for the position.
Small Business Majority is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, sexual preference, citizenship, or marital status.